Monday, February 15, 2016

Blog #4

I chose the Math standard, MAFS.3.G.1.1. This standard states, “Understand that shapes in different categories (e.g., rhombuses, rectangles, and others) may share attributes (e.g., having four sides), and that the shared attributes can define a larger category (e.g., quadrilaterals). Recognize rhombuses, rectangles, and squares as examples of quadrilaterals, and draw examples of quadrilaterals that do not belong to any of these subcategories” (cpalms.org).  A web-based resource my students can use is a website called Geoboard (Link here: http://www.mathlearningcenter.org/web-apps/geoboard/). Geoboard is an online gaming tool that students can use to make shapes and manipulate them in a way to identify and compare each one. I would use this by projecting the website on the smart board and having students take turns to come up to the smart board and create the shape I advise them to make. This will make the class interactive and also entertaining while still managing to teach the students this standard.  

I have had to search for internet-based resources countless times, especially in high school. Since we predominately used iPads in my high school classrooms, many of the assignments had to do with using the internet and integrating it into the lesson. If I needed to find a current event article for my social studies class, I looked under the “News” category of Google. If I needed an academic source, like JSTOR, for a research paper I would use the “Scholar” search engine of Google or I would type “:.edu” after my search phrase. I have also used internet games and softwares to help me memorize material, from state capitals to vocabulary words. This is similar to when the podcasts speaks about an “open source” which is a software that is freely available for anyone to use. 

The Web Hunt assignment had a few surprisingly difficult challenges to solve. I struggled mainly with the science lesson plan challenge. This assignment showed me how important it is to keep track of how I find specific websites, because at times I forgot to write down the steps before I closed the tab and it was difficult for me to find the website again. This assignment also reminded me of the many different ways Google offers you to search for something, such as using Scholar, News, Images, Videos, etc. Here are a couple challenges for my classmates: 

  1. Find an academic article about the themes in Mary Shelly’s novel Frankenstein. (Hint: Google Scholar) 
  2. Find a current event about technology being used in the classroom (Hint: Google News)

No comments:

Post a Comment