Monday, February 1, 2016

Blog #2

Microsoft Word is the software I have used the most as a student. For every essay, research paper, outline, poem, science fair project, current event summary, history skit, resume, study guide, etc. I have had to use Microsoft Word. As a student, there are benefits of using Microsoft Word over paper and pen. The most important benefit, for me at least, is the ability to save my work on a computer. I lose papers left and right, but by typing up my work, I don't have to worry about losing a paper because I can easily open the saved document on my computer and print it again. Another important factor for me is the neatness of a document typed on Word. It is easier for me to study notes that I have typed up, because it is more neat and I can also arrange the format to my personal benefit. There are endless benefits to using Microsoft Word as a student, and even teachers profit from it too. I’ve seen my teachers use Microsoft Word while making study guides, tests, quizzes, lesson plans, letters to parents/students/faculty, etc. The great benefit for teachers is that they can save these documents onto their computers and then, for the next school year, they can simply revise a few things, instead of typing it all up again. 

I have had teachers who were more strict than others, and vice versa, when it came to copyright and fair use of materials. I have experienced some teachers who make their students give credit to every image we used in a powerpoint presentation, by making us cite not only where we found our information but also where we found our images. I have had teachers who did not really care about citing our sources, which made it easier to plagiarize. As a student, I’ve mostly had to create MLA style citations and works cited pages to give credit to the intellectual property of another writer, artist, etc. I know some of my teachers purchased softwares through the school in order to legally use the program in the classroom, which is what I would most likely try to do when I become a teacher. However, I understand that it might not be easy convincing an administration to pay for the software I’d like to use in the classroom. I would have to use the softwares and programs that the school already has in place. When it comes to the material I will be teaching, I will commonly refer to the textbook so I would need to give credit to that source. I will teach my students about plagiarism and how to avoid it by correctly citing their work.

I always used Twitter as a way to connect with friends and celebrities. Now that I’ve learned of the other uses for Twitter, like keeping up with current events and getting easy access to trending issues, I now get more use of this app. By following Education and Education Technology related profiles on Twitter, I now receive many updates on my newsfeed of education related issues and articles, some keeping me updated and others that provide advice for teachers. I can use this in my future career to be aware of what’s occurring in schools near me and also to keep me updated on new ways to teach and organize a classroom. It’s always important to know what’s trending, and Twitter gives us just that! 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! You bring up a great point that some teachers are more strict than others regarding plagiarism and citing sources. It is important for all teachers to take these matters seriously, so that students understand the possible ramifications (e.g., getting a zero, getting suspended, getting expelled, etc.).

    ReplyDelete