Monday, January 25, 2016

Blog #1

Technology has advanced so much that it has become a necessity in most people’s lives. It has especially played an important role in education. Computers are an important part of the educational experience for both teachers and students. For teachers, technology serves as a tool for presentations and communication. Technology makes it easier for teachers to make documents, like tests, study guides, and lesson plans. Teachers also have easier access to communicate with parents and co-workers through email and other forms of technological networking. For students, technology, as the textbook words it, “prepares students for contemporary life.” Most jobs require employees to be technologically literate, so by providing this access to technology in the classrooms, students are able to gain this experience. However, there are some concerns related to computers in the classroom, for instance, they can cause distractions for the students and they can also tempt teachers to teach less because of the access the students have to the Internet. I agree that technology in the classroom is extremely helpful in creating an effective learning environment, however, I also understand that there is a right and a wrong way of using educational technology and teachers must find the best balance appropriate for their class.

 The ISTE standard that I found most interesting was Communication and Collaboration. I think this one makes a good point when it comes to global awareness, because with just a touch of a button, we have information about what is happening across the world. Technology can keep students updated on current events of any place they can imagine. Not only can students learn about other cultures, but they can also communicate with other students from those cultures. Being able to communicate with a primary witness, students can potentially learn so much in such a short time. Reading this gave me the idea that if I actually do become a teacher I would like to see if I could possible assign my students a pen-pal from a different country. My students can then share with the rest of the class what they learned about that culture, so they can spread that knowledge with the other kids who were paired up with a different culture. I know this sounds easier said than done, but it just shows only one of the many different educational projects technology can generate. I am not as skilled in Technology Operations and Concepts, because I am not familiar with all of the systems and applications used in the classroom, however I hope taking this class will change that and prepare me for what’s to come.

I do not think the label “digital native” should be generalized to a generation, or today’s youth, because, as we discussed in class, socioeconomic standards can affect being a digital native or immigrant. A digital native is someone who grew up using technology, and because of their different financial statuses, not all youth grew up exposed to technology. I am a digital native, but that does not mean that I am more advanced in technology than a digital immigrant. I’ve noticed that some of my teachers understand softwares better than I do, and I grew up using technology. Because of this I realize that just because people grew up with technology it doesn't necessarily mean they learn better from it than people who did not grow up with it. Technology, however, has played a central role in my education. I’ve noticed that I am a very visual learner, so I benefit from power point presentations, pictures, and videos, all of which is possible through the use of technology. I think how I use technology will not be as different than my future students, but I think the types of applications we use then will of course be different, because technology is constantly advancing. As a teacher, I will just need to learn how to adapt to the ever-growing technology that my students and I will use in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment