Monday, March 28, 2016

Blog #9

In a flipped classroom, instruction occurs outside of class and the homework like activities occur inside of class, figuratively flipping the classroom. This works by students listening to instruction online at home to prepare for in-class activities and work that corresponds to the lesson. This gives the opportunity for students to be alongside the teacher and peers while doing their "homework," which in a flipped classroom turns into classwork. I believe this in theory a good idea but I do not think this could work with every subject. Subjects like math and science can be difficult to instruct in a flipped classroom, in my opinion. I do not think a classroom should be entirely flipped, rather should alternate between traditional and flipped classrooms. Here is a link to a source of educational videos: https://www.khanacademy.org

Khan Academy is the link I provided above and it is a web-based resource that provides video lessons for multiple subjects and breaks down the material to help students who are struggling with understanding the content. I had teachers who assigned us to watch these videos whenever they were absent. This was beneficial because substitute teachers usually fail to teach whenever a teacher is absent. With Khan Academy teachers can assign lectures that students must take notes on in order to be more prepared for the lesson when the teacher returns. This can prevent falling too behind from your initial lesson plan. I think another great web-based resource is Qualtrics because it can be used to measure things like student progress and understanding, teacher evaluation, and parent involvement. This is an online survey resource, which would most likely be used for older students, not elementary, who can accurately and honestly answer survey questions. Here is the link: https://fsu.qualtrics.com/ControlPanel/ 

I really enjoyed this assignment and I think this is my favorite one so far. It did take some time to create but I chose a topic that interested me so it was actually fun. I know that when I use this in the future I won't necessarily be creating quizzes or games on subjects that interest me this much, but I still see myself using this skill because the end result is very satisfying and I know the kids will love it. I think I can improve the amount of questions I put on these quiz games because I would most likely want the game to last longer and give all my students a chance to play. In my game I only gave players one chance to get the answer correct, however, I think in the future I may manipulate the hyperlinks to allow players multiple chances. I definitely practiced my PowerPoint skills and this assignment taught me new functions of PowerPoint that I never knew existed, like hyperlinking slides and disabling linear presentations. Here are screenshots of my quiz game called "The Fault In Our Stars" (P.S. The pictures are actually gifs but you cannot see that in the screenshots)




















No comments:

Post a Comment